Are you serving in Seattle soon? Take some advice from current AmeriCorps members.
- Budget like your life depends on it. Learn to value free and low cost events. It is possible, and doable, but you have to commit.
- Push the ability of your work, seek out opportunities to further the goals of your work, and force Seattleites to hang out with you!
- Experiment with your new challenges as an AmeriCorps, and hone in on new skillsets to cope with them.
- Cook creative meals with low cost groceries.
- Branch out into community housing to split rent.
- Use bus rides and carpools to take time and chill with your community.
- Make sure your program is well established, otherwise make sure you are ready to establish it yourself.
- Keep a file of the things you accomplish during your service year: Created a new volunteer application/system? Were on the planning committee for an event? Whatever it is, keep it so you can reference it as you move forward in your nonprofit career.
- File your taxes. You’ll likely get a little bit of money back.
- Do not neglect self-care; this work can be intense and will take its toll. Be gentle with yourself.